Monday, November 13, 2006

All good things...

14 years is a long time to have a vehicle. I think most people switch cars every 3 or 4 years... few keep their car for longer than 6 or 7 years. Some times people become very connected to their vehicles (right mum)... and after 14 years, and 200,000 miles, I certainly have become connected to my truck. That's why it hurts so much to have found out that she has a terminal condition, and she only has a few weeks to live.

We were on the way to Chicago, when it appears that the minor coolant leak got very much worse. She has apparently blown her head gasket, warped her heads, and damaged the piston rings. This is an unserviceable situation, and engine transplant is the only solution for her. Right now, she leaves a toxic cloud of smoke if I try to drive her... so thick it blocks out the sun.

She has been everywhere with me... we started in 1993 by traveling the country following the national jetski circuit. Since that time, she has taken me anywhere I asked of her, and back again... even after becoming critically ill, she still made sure to bring me home.

We have camped at the lake many a night. We saw many a drive-in movie. She has gotten me through so many storms. She has protected me in 2 accidents, and twice when we flew off the road due to ice. She drove my world across the country for graduate school. She has moved countless friends... many more than once. Every girl I have dated since high school has been in that truck.

In short... I love her, and it hurts like losing a favorite pet. She has proven to be more reliable, and faithful than any of the afore-mentioned girls. I know if I needed her too, she would take me on one last trip, even if it meant her great pain.

Soon, I will be putting her to sleep. Goodnight my truck. Sleep well, and have good dreams.

No comments: